Sunday, August 25, 2013

Crab Cove

A Day in the Park

August 24, 2013


I wouldn't normally post a blog about a trip across the island.  I mean, it's not the grandest of adventures, after all.  I had a pretty good day with the camera and the local inhabitants, though, so a post seemed in order.

Gull & Double-crested Cormorants -- Crab Cove, Alameda, CA
Crab Cove faces the San Francisco Bay.  Candlestick Park is easily seen across the water.  Crown Beach runs down this side of the island, with Crab Cove set at its Northwest end.  It's not much of a beach.  It'll get crowded during the summer and there always seem to be a lot of kite surfers around, but it's on the bay so there's no actual surf.  It seems weird to me that people flock to a beach without crashing waves.
Least Tern -- Crab Cove, Alameda, CA
Yoshika's dog rescue organization was hosting a fund raising picnic.  A lot of people showed up, which was nice.  I'm not too comfortable in large social gatherings, though, so I spent most of the afternoon driving around picking up missing supplies and walking around the park looking for things to photograph.  I got some pretty good pictures of birds in flight.  Good for me and my cheap camera, anyway.
California Ground Squirrels -- Crab Cove, Alameda, CA
Most of the animals aren't skittish.  I guess they wouldn't be here if people bothered them much.  I got a good look at the ground squirrels that live in the rocks that bound the beach.  Pongo loves chasing the squirrels back into their dens when we go for walks out here.  Charlie tends to be more interested in smelling the grass.  Some of the other boxers were really into that at the picnic as well.  Boxers are weird dogs.
Domestic Mallard Duck -- Crab Cove, Alameda, CA
Yoshika has been telling me I need to get a better camera.  There are times when I look at pictures online and wonder if I couldn't do better with something a little nicer than my point and shoot.  Then again, it's got a 35x zoom on it and seems to do pretty well, aside from being a bit slow.  I don't know if I want to get into chasing the perfect gear set up.  We'll see, I may upgrade in a year or two.
Snowy Egret -- Crab Cove, Alameda, CA




No comments:

Post a Comment