Thursday, June 5, 2014

Two Men and a Dog: Day 5

Sequoia National Park

May 28, 2014



Our final day of the road trip was spent at Sequoia National Park, where I once again struggled to get decent photos of these mighty trees.

Sequoia National Park, CA
There's something about this place and these trees.  Yeah, they are big trees.  Neat, right?  Jim was feeling that way before actually getting to the trees.  I remember feeling that way myself before experiencing them.  There's something magical about the big tree forests, though.  You've got to get away from the crowds to experience it.  These trees have a calm, palpable presence.  They count their years not by the decades but by the millenia.  Words fail me.  Pictures fail me.  The giant sequoias are awesome creatures that have to be experienced in person.

Our hiking in the park was hindered by the fact that dogs aren't allowed on the paved trails in the park.  That was a huge let down.  Every other National Park I've been to has restrictions on pets in the park, but Sequoia is the only one I know of that doesn't allow dogs on paved trails.  We found a few roadside stops where Pongo was able to explore, but I have to say I was incredibly disappointed by this policy.  We still had a good time.

Jim & Pongo -- Sequoia National Park, CA
Treehumping -- Sequoia National Park, CA
Sequoia National Park, CA
Sequoia National Park, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment