Monday, September 1, 2014

The Redwood Highway

August 29, 2014



Soundtrack:

  • Editors -- The Weight of Your Love
  • Grizzly Bear -- Shields
Time to head home after a couple of days up North in the redwoods.  It was a short trip, too short really, but I had things I needed to do back home for the weekend.

Smith River, Redwood National Park, CA
The fog had rolled in over the night.  That made things a lot more interesting for taking pictures.  I don't think I actually nailed a good one, but I got closer than I have in the past.  I've done OK with rain as well.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, CA
Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, CA
Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, CA
The sun poked through the fog off and on as I drove down 101 in Redwood National Park.  It made for some dramatic displays of light.  I stopped a few times to try to capture the magic.

Highway 101, Redwood National Park, CA
Highway 101, Redwood National Park, CA
The Prairie Creek elk herd was hanging out near Elk Meadow.  Tourists had gathered and were again crowding the elk.  I guess this herd must be used to the constant attention.  They moved through the crowd without much hesitation.



Roosevelt Elk, Redwood National Park, CA
Roosevelt Elk, Redwood National Park, CA
Roosevelt Elk, Redwood National Park, CA
I saw another herd of roosevelt elk near Orick and a herd of tule elk a few hours South.  I stopped in Trinidad for gas and took a few more pictures of the lighthouse.  Other than that, it was a nice but uneventful trip home.
Roosevelt Elk, Redwood Highway, CA
Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse, Trinidad, CA







No comments:

Post a Comment