Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Salinas National Wildlife Refuge & Point Lobos State Natural Reserve

March 15, 2015




Soundtrack:

  • Led Zeppelin -- Led Zeppelin IV
  • Pearl Jam -- Yield
It was a busy week at work that rolled into the weekend, but on Sunday I was able to take off for the afternoon and headed down South to take a few photos at Salinas National Wildlife Refuge and Point Lobos State Natural Reserve.  It was a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Salinas National Wildlife Refuge, CA
I didn't have a lot of time to spend at the Salinas refuge.  It was a spur of the moment stop.  I hiked around a trails that loops through the hunting area.  It's off season and relatively quiet.  If you want to get away from crowds this is a nice place to go.  I saw one other person the entire time.  I also saw a river otter, but he disappeared in the river before I could take a photo.

Salinas National Wildlife Refuge, CA
It's a pretty area.  I'll have to go back when I have time to explore the place more.  There's no auto tour or anything here, you've pretty much got to hoof it everywhere.

Whaler's Cove, Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
As usual, Point Lobos held nothing back.  It was a beautiful day and the animals were putting on some entertaining shows.

Anna's Hummingbird --  Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
 Headland Cove, Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
The sea lion population was down.  They weren't out on the islands, either, they were right on the beach and rocks of Sea Lion Cove.  I'm not sure why they decided to move to the mainland, but it meant the trail down to the cove was closed.  That's OK, it keeps people from harassing them and sadly they need the protection.


Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
The gray whales are migrating up the coast.  I saw a lot of them offshore.  I need to go on a whale watching tour.  That has to be a lot of fun.  I've only been out on the ocean in a boat once and boy did I get sick.  I'll have to prepare better for the next trip.

Gray Whale -- Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
Gibson Beach, Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA





No comments:

Post a Comment