Sunday, March 2, 2014

Redwood National Park

Day Four:  Heading Home

February 24, 2014



The trip home was rather uneventful.  I took I-5 down to Grant's Pass then cut over to 101 on the 199 stretch of the Redwood Highway.  It took a little longer than going down I-5 to 505, but the coastline and redwoods make it worthwhile.

Smith River, CA
Highway 199 follows the Smith River as it nears the coast.  That's a rugged little stream.

Crescent City, CA
I love the redwoods.  I struggle to find good way to photograph them, though.  Their size doesn't usually translate to photos.  Although the size of the trees is impressive, it's the overall ambiance that is their ultimate pull.  There is a living peacefulness in these woods that is unmatched by any other place I've been.  In photos, all that can be seen are trees and ferns.

Redwood Highway, CA
The regular elk herds were present at Orick and Prairie Creek.  Their antlers are coming in for the year.  The big bulls' antlers are already larger than a yearling's.  The males and females are all mixed together right now.  Later, of course, they'll break up into harems and the bulls will duke it out for the lovely ladies.

Roosevelt Elk -- Elk Meadow, Redwood National Park, CA
I made one more stop at Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge as the sun went down.  I didn't get a chance to look around much, but it looks like it's worth a visit.

Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge, CA


No comments:

Post a Comment