Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Road Trip! Part Two


I didn't do any better at getting out last weekend than I did the weekend before.  Still, the return trip from Colorado has been solidified.  Well, as solid as Jello.  OK, OK, the trip out is solid, I still need to book campsites for the return trip.  Here's the idea for the route home.

Devil's Tower National Monument

Obviously, I didn't take this picture of Devil's Tower.  It's from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Devil's Tower is a long way from La Veta, CO.  It's kind of on the way to Yellowstone from La Veta, though, so that's good enough for me.

You're right, it's only slightly on the way to Yellowstone.  I mean, if you take the long way to Yellowstone from La Veta.  Close enough.

Yellowstone National Park

Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone National Park, WY
The Grand-daddy of 'em all.  Well, a case can be made that Yosemite was really the Grand-daddy of 'em all, but officially Yellowstone was the first National Park, so we'll go with that.  It's a magical place.  This will be my second visit.  I'm ecstatic at the premise.

Grand Teton National Park

Grand Teton National Park, WY
Given my druthers I'd probably take Grand Teton over Yellowstone.  It's a less flashy park but it's also quieter and feels more like wilderness and less like Disneyland than the big park.  Who knows, we might even have time for a round of golf in Jackson Hole.

Reno, NV

Our final stop will likely be in Reno, NV.  It's a long haul from Jackson Hole to Reno.  We'll be making that drive in one day.  We'll see how it goes.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great road trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gaelyn. Planning this trip has kept me sane over these last few weekends of garage cleaning and lawn (or what passes for one in this drought) mowing.

      Delete