Friday, August 14, 2015

The American River

White Water Rafting

August 13, 2015



I went white water rafting with folks from work yesterday.  It was a lot of fun.  We dropped in just below the bridge over the South Fork of the American River near Lotus, CA and drifted a dozen miles or so down to Folsom Lake.  Well, we drifted down to where Folsom Lake is located in non-drought years.  There's no lake there this year, it's still a river at that altitude.

South Fork American River, CA
Our guide freely admitted to taking great pleasure in getting us all as wet as possible.  He made a point of having us hit every big rapid sideways.  I'm pretty sure he and the other guides take bets on who can knock the most people out of the boat.  We only lost one brave soul, although I came pretty close on at least one occasion.  

South Fork American River, CA
Our Crazy Half -- South Fork American River, CA
I had a lot of fun.  It reminded me a lot of floating down the Willamette with my family when I was a kid.  Well, the quiet parts, anyway.  We even hopped out of the boat and swam around.

Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area, CA
Mallard
Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area was directly on the way home, so I stopped off for a tour.  I wasn't expecting to see a whole lot of wildlife given it's August.  I was hoping for a coyote or otter sighting.  No such luck.  I'm not sure they even have otter there.  I saw a few white-faced Ibis and a score of great egrets and a few ducks, that was about it.  Still, it felt good to get back in a familiar environment.  Rafting was fun, but to be honest I enjoyed the quieter parts of the river more than the rapids.

White-faced Ibis -- Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area, CA

2 comments:

  1. That looks like fun. Should try rafting the Colorado River next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Colorado may be in the cards someday. Seeing the Grand Canyon from that perspective would be amazing, I expect.

      Delete