Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Half Moon Bay to Point Lobos



It was a wonderfully rainy day yesterday.  It was the kind of rainy day that left a person mostly dry but kept everything in sight wet.  Not always soaked, mind you, things were sometimes in a state of drying out but had obviously been very wet only an hour or two ago.  It was the kind of day the Oregon coast does often and well.  We get these types of days less frequently in California, but our coast knows how to put its own spin on just such a day.

Half Moon Bay, CA
My first stop on the day's route was at Half Moon Bay.  No special reason other than that's where Highway 92 ends.  When we lived on the Peninsula this was our beach town.  It has a couple of nice golf courses and a few nice views and a large surf break known as Mavericks.  Throw in a couple of surf shops and chowder houses and I'm not sure there's much more to this nice little town.  Pumpkins and Christmas trees, I guess.

San Gregorio State Beach, CA
Juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk
My plan was to drive South down to Point Lobos.  Unlike some drives, making it to my destination was kind of important to me this time.  I haven't been there in a while because it's not at all dog friendly and most of my recent coast trips have been with Pongo.  I specifically left him behind so I could go to Point Lobos, so although it actually wasn't at all important whether or not I reached my destination it felt important to me if for no other reason than Pongo's sacrifice should not go in vain.

Pescadero State Beach, CA
Southern Sea Otter -- Moss Landing, CA
Brant
It's hard to drive by Moss Landing without stopping for a few pictures of the otters.  I wasn't sure how the photos would turn with no sun peeking through the clouds.  My big lens needs a lot of light.  I got a few shots that weren't too bad.  I also saw a couple of brants.  They aren't rare birds, I guess, but they are rare for me to see.


Gull and Southern Sea Otter -- Moss Landing, CA
Headland Cove, Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
By the time I got to Point Lobos the sun was starting to peek out from behind the clouds.  It was off and on, but when it was on it was pretty spectacular.  Not much else to say.

Allen Memorial Grove, Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
South Point, Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
South Point, Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA
Headland Cove, Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, CA

2 comments:

  1. Even without a lot of sunshine the coat looks gorgeous. Nice of you to think of Pongo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up in Oregon, going to the coast almost always meant we were heading to cold, overcast and drizzly weather. That sort of weather at the beach makes the most sense to me.

      Delete