Monday, December 7, 2015

The Embarcadero & Muir Woods


December 6, 2015



Sunday was wet and overcast.  A lot of destinations can be enjoyed in such weather, but the one that generally calls out to me with such weather is Muir Woods.  It's a little less crowded than on a normal weekend day (only a little, unfortunately) and the muted lighting makes the woods a lot easier to photograph.

The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA
I don't normally drive through the city on my way to Marin, but I was on autopilot through the Emeryville maze and found myself at the Bay Bridge tollbooths before I realized what was happening.  I'm always chastising myself for not taking more pictures in the City, so I decided this would be a nice opportunity in spite of the inclement weather.
Bryant Street, San Francisco, CA
I worked in this area of town for five years or so.  That was before the ballpark was built, which dramatically changed the South end of the Embarcadero.  Red's Java House still stands.  That used to be a cheap lunch spot, $2.50 for a double cheese dog and a beer.  I suspect their prices have gone up.  The Hi Dive is still around.  I think the name of that bar might have changed.  Gordon Biersch Brewery is gone.  That's a bummer.  Mozilla has their offices there now.

Hills Brothers Plaza, San Francisco, CA
The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA
OK, I guess we need one of the Bay Bridge, too.  I've teased it enough.  This is kind of a dark photo but there's some mildly cool cloud action going on, so there you go.

Bay Bridge, San Francisco, CA
Muir Woods
I headed to Muir Woods next.  Redwood Creek was extremely low.  See this post for a very different view of the creek as it flooded in a downpour that dropped seven to ten inches of rain on the mountainside that day.  That was an insane day.  Yesterday had nothing on that day in terms of drama.  If you care to compare, the bridge below is the same bridge as in the first photo but shot from the other side.

Muir Woods National Monument, CA
Muir Woods National Monument, CA
I suspect that technically this is my best set of photos from Muir Woods.  I might actually be getting better at this photography thing.

Muir Woods National Monument, CA
Muir Woods National Monument, CA
Muir Woods National Monument, CA
Muir Beach
After shooting the woods, I drove the short distance to Muir Beach.  I've always preferred this spot to the more popular Stinson Beach which is a few miles up the coast.  I guess this beach has more of an Oregon vibe to it.  You know, it's more about surviving the visit than sunbathing.  If you've been to a beach in Oregon you know what I'm talking about.

Muir Beach, CA
I made one last stop before heading home at the Pelican Inn.  Had a pint.  Read a bit of Anna Karenina on my kindle.  A good reading pub is a treasure to be savored.  It's worth a trip across the Bay just for that.  It was a nice way to round out a relaxing day spent on familiar but well-regarded grounds.

Pelican Inn, Muir Beach, CA
Pelican Inn, Muir Beach, CA

2 comments:

  1. I think San Fransisco is the prettiest little city in America. And even though I lived south of there for a year long ago, never made it to Muir Woods. My loss, as I can see it's gorgeous. I know a Ranger there as well. Pelican Inn looks like a cool place.

    I may never be a professional photographer, but practice constantly makes me better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muir Woods is pretty (which keeps me coming back) but it's also crowded. Kind of a smaller version of Yosemite Valley in that sense. I'm usually grumbling to myself during a visit there. Pelican Inn is a great way to top off a visit, if you ever get a chance.

      Delete