Thursday, July 23, 2015

Road Trip: Going to California

July 11, 2015



All good things must come to an end, as the saying goes.  Saturday was our final day, in it we'd bomb down the highways and Interstates of Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada and California for fifteen hours to reach our ultimate destination: home.

Grand Teton National Park, WY
We gt up early and packed up the campsite.  We were on the road by 6:15.  I wanted to get an early start to minimize driving in the dark.  Turns out we made it home in daylight, so that worked out well.  We stopped at the Bunnery in Jackson Hole for some pastries and coffee to go.  They make some fine baked goods.  That was probably the longest stop of the day.

Grand Teton National Park, WY
I hear Idaho is beautiful, but from what I've seen of the state--which consists of two drives in the last three years on their interstates--I don't know what folks are talking about.  Nevada is pretty awesome because most of it is bleak desert wasteland, which I like.  Wyoming is pretty awesome.  California, well, it's way awesome, obviously.  Idaho, though, I dunno . . . It mostly seems to look like the picture below.  Less fuzzy, obviously.

Somewhere on Some Road in Idaho
Dry skies greeted us in California.  It doesn't rain here anymore.  I hated to see the trip end, but we all have to return back to reality at one point or another.

Interstate 680, Concord, CA
Soundtrack:

  • Fleetwood Mac -- Rumors
  • Red House Painters -- Old Ramon
  • Roxy Music -- For Your Pleasure
  • Ryan Adams -- Ryan Adams
  • Steve Martin -- Let's Get Small
  • The Hi-Lo's -- The Hi-Lo's Collection
  • Journey -- Escape
  • David Bowie -- Hunky Dory
  • Depeche Mode -- Black Celebration
  • The White Stripes -- Elephant
  • Rush -- Moving Pictures




2 comments:

  1. There's a lot of beauty in Idaho if you get off the interstate. But with all you saw on this journey you may have been a bit jaded. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely got spoiled. I've always heard Idaho is beautiful and as a comparison I know that I-5 doesn't even give a hint to the amazing things in WA, OR and CA, so some day I'm going to have make a trip to Idaho to give it a fair shake. I've never been to Montana, either. Already planting seeds for next year. :-)

      Delete