Sunday, July 12, 2015

Road Trip: Las Vegas

116 Degrees to Vegas

June 27, 2015



How do you kick off a two week road trip that will take you through the American Southwest and ultimately up to Yellowstone National Park?  It's obvious, right?  Las Vegas.

Mojave Desert, CA
Our first day of the trip was mainly a driving day.  Most days on the trip involved some amount of driving, but three days in specific were focused mostly on covering a lot of ground.  This was one of those days.  I never even broke out my big camera on this first day.  I shot with my little pocket camera through the window--or actually more often with my camera in my hand outside the window--as I drove.  Always watching the road, of course!

Mojave Desert, CA
Las Vegas is a weird town.  It's a great launching pad for a Southwest road trip, though.  There are a number of easily reachable destinations from there and it's fun to drink and gamble for a night.  I played roulette.  I was down a hundred at one point then up a couple of hundred at another point, and ultimately walked away up seventy dollars.  Jim played the plastic ponies at the MGM Grand all evening.  That's his happy place in Vegas.  Low stakes.  Free drinks.  I'm that way too, but I like the cold, simple odds of roulette and I love it when they shove a big stack of chips my way when I win.

Las Vegas, NV
And yes, it really did hit 116 degrees on the drive.  Hooft.

Soundtrack:
  • The Shins -- Oh, Inverted World
  • Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young -- Deja Vu
  • The Clash -- Black Market Clash
  • Morphine -- Cure for Pain
  • Billy Joel -- Nylon Curtain

No comments:

Post a Comment