Tuesday, March 8, 2016

2BP: Pacific City to Newport

February 28, 2016



Sunday.

My mother had been recovering nicely and would continue to do so.  The list of potential visitors for the day was overflowing.  Pongo had been stuck in a crate for the better part of two days with four more days of crate time looming for the work week.  I was getting itchy feet.

Grand Ronde, OR
Oregon Route 130
I was thinking of going to Mount Hood.  Pongo enjoys snow and we'd never been there.  The weather knocked it off my list, though.  It was raining all over Oregon, meaning it would be snowing at higher elevations.  I like going to the snow but driving while it's snowing is not something I enjoy.  So, we headed to the coast instead.  The nice part of this plan is that I know how long it takes to get from just about any point on the Oregon coast to Salem.  I'd be able to ensure we'd get back in time for me to spend a few hours in the hospital with my mother.

Little Nestucca River, OR
On my last trip to Oregon during Thanksgiving, my dad and I tried to drive down the coast from Tillamook to Newport.  We only made it to Pacific City.  Pongo and I agreed to try to complete that trip.

Nestucca River, Pacific City, OR
Haystack Rock, Pacific City, OR
The Pacific City beach is one of the more spectacular beaches on the Oregon coast.  There are three haystacks know as Haystack Rock on the Oregon coast.  One is near Coos Bay, another is at Cannon Beach and the last--my personal favorite--is at Pacific City.  There's a connection to my mother here.  She's an author.  In her first book, Haystack Rock was a central symbol.  I'm not sure which Haystack Rock it was.  I'll have to ask her when I call her tomorrow.

Pacific City, OR
Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area
According to Wikipedia, the Haystack Rock in Pacific City is also known as Chief Kiwanda Rock.  Huh.  I had no idea.  Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area is adjacent to the Pacific City beach.  It has cliffs and tide pools and a big dune that kids love to climb.  My brother tells me we used to like to climb the dune and run down it when we were kids.  I have no recollection of that.  There's nothing unusual about that.  He's got a sharp memory.  Mine's a bit dull.  Funny, those facts work both for and against both of us.

Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area, Pacific City, CA
Two people died falling from those Cape Kiwanda cliffs last month.  Sad.  Yosemite has the same problem with its cliffs.

Stay away from cliffs.

That's my public service announcement for the day.

Nestucca Bay National Wildlife Refuge, OR
Canada Goose
Our next stop was at Nestucca Bay National Wildlife Refuge.  It's a beautiful refuge along Highway 101.  I've seen a few bald eagles there.  No eagles on this trip, unfortunately.  We saw a lot of dusky Canada geese, though.  Canada geese aren't the most exciting birds to spot, but I still enjoying seeing them in the wild.  I like how geese are distributed along the West coast with Canada geese in the North and now and Ross' geese in California.  We get a few Canada geese in California as well.

Siletz Bay, OR
Boiler Bay State Scenic Viewpoint, OR
Boiler Bay State Scenic Viewpoint, OR
Otter Crest, OR
Devil's Punch Bowl State Park, OR
I don't suspect most people n Oregon have considered how Otter Crest got its name.  Sea otters used to be plentiful along the Oregon coast.  They are all gone now.  They were hunted to extirpation.  The last Oregon sea otter died over one hundred years ago.  They may be making a comeback.  A lone otter was spotted in Depoe Bay (a few miles from Otter Crest) in 2009, but as of yet a permanent population has yet to return,  We can only hope.

Devil's Punch Bowl State Park, OR
Yaquina Bay Bridge, Newport, OR
California Sea Lion
When we reached Newport, Pongo and I headed down to the waterfront.  I didn't really have a plan.  I was thinking about grabbing some chowder at Mo's, but the sun was out so I didn't want to leave Pongo in the car.  as we drove we heard the barking of sea lions so I found a place to park and we got out to take a look. Holy cow!  What a show these beasts put on!

California Sea Lion -- Newport, OR
California Sea Lion -- Newport, OR
Pongo used to be frightened by the noise sea lions make.  He begged to go back into the car on one of our first trips when we encountered a large number offshore in the Seventeen Mile Drive in California.  He's come a long way.  On this trip he poked his head through the fence railings to get a better look.  They were close and they were loud but he just grinned and wagged his tail.

California Sea Lion -- Newport, OR
Out on the South Jetty in Newport we saw a wide variety of birds including a number of harlequin ducks.  Boy, they are beautiful.

Harlequin Duck -- Newport, OR
Harlequin Duck -- Newport, OR
Harlequin Duck -- Newport, OR
Beverly Beach State Park
We headed back to Salem after the stop at the jetty.  We had plenty of time to get back and for Pongo to have dinner before I went to the hospital.  I sat with my mother and showed her the pictures from the day.  She seemed to enjoy them.  She says she enjoys my photography.  I'm never sure if she really means it or if she just says that because she's my mom.  One of the things I am sure of, though, is she understand my need to be alone.  She's the same way, although she handles people better than I do.

Beverly Beach State Park, OR

3 comments:

  1. Love the OR coast. You really took advantage of this road trip and got some great shots. I think under these circumstances quiet time is just what the doctor should order. I'm not your Mom and think they are all great shots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gaelyn.

      We had an interesting discussion. After looking at some of these shots my dad said "you just can't beat the Oregon coast." I told him I think that when I'm on the Oregon coast. I think "you just can't beat the Washington coast" when I'm there and I think "you can't beat the California coast" when I'm in Monterey or Redwood NP. They all seem to be true. Same for Utah, Death Valley, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, etc. There are so many magical places to visit or live in.

      Delete
    2. Like when I'm at work and visitors ask me which is my favorite park. "Which ever one I'm at."

      Delete