Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Road Trip 2016: Capitol Reef National Park

October 4, 2016



Pongo and I left Goblin Valley on Tuesday feeling refreshed.  However, the idea of anything other than a warm, calm night was still not something we wanted to deal with.  The plan was to spend the day and camp at Capitol Reef.  However, when we got there in the morning it was very cold.  I was not into it.  So, Capitol Reef became a drive through and the plan changed to stay overnight in St. George.

Coyote -- Somewhere on Highway 24, UT
Coyote -- Somewhere on Highway 24, UT
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Well, we didn't stop in St. George.  We got there before 3:00.  There was too much daylight left and I didn't want to waste it sitting around in a Motel 6 room.  So, I decided to drive on and find a Motel 6 closer to Valley of Fire State Park.  We could have camped at or near the park but at this point I was pretty set on a calm night inside and a shower.  I was set on a Motel 6 because they are all pet friendly, which was obviously a huge consideration.

American Bison -- Somewhere on Highway 24, UT
We didn't run into a Motel 6 after driving through St. George until we got to Las Vegas.  Oops.  Tuesday turned out to be a much longer day of driving than I'd intended.  It turned out OK.  The air conditioning inside our motel room was so loud it worked as a wonderful white noise filter.  We couldn't hear anything going on outside or in the rooms next to us.  We slept so well I booked the room for another night the next morning.

Somewhere on Highway 24, UT
Somewhere on Highway 24, UT
Soundtrack:

  • Alice in Chains -- Jar of Flies / Sap
  • Kanye West -- The College Dropout
  • Ryan Adams -- Heartbreaker
  • Bob Dylan -- Biograph [2]
  • The Cure -- Staring at the Sea

2 comments:

  1. I also did only a drive through at Capitol Reef so need to return for more exploration. You got some good shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I lucked into some nice clouds. I need to spend a few days at that park. I was there once before for an overnight stay. Some of my favorite photos of my own have been taken there.

      Delete