Friday, October 7, 2016

Road Trip 2016: The Long Haul

September 26, 2016



Pongo and I got back this afternoon from twelve days on the road.  We hit a bunch of state and national parks and ate a lot of bad camping food (sorry, Pongo).  I'm not a good cook.  The first day was all driving.  I'd been planning on taking four days to get to Grand Teton National Park, but the weather forecast indicated we'd be wasting a couple of days of good weather and would be camping in the rain for three nights.  So, we made that drive in a day and a half instead.  My plans were very loose for this trip, which generally worked to our advantage.

Somewhere on I-80 in Nevada
We camped at Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho for the first night of the trip.  I don't think I have ever seen a clearer night sky.  The Milky Way was easily visible with the naked eye.

Not much else to say, this first day was all about the long drive toward Wyoming, I took very few pictures.

Don't worry, the trip gets better from here.

Soundtrack:

  • case/lang/viers -- case/lang/viers
  • Muse -- Absolution
  • Woody Allen -- The Night Club Years 1964-68 [1]
  • Lambert, Hendricks & Ross -- Sing a Song of Basie
  • Depeche Mode -- Black Celebration
  • Bob Dylan -- Biograph [3]
  • Death Cab for Cutie -- Transatlanticism
  • The Police -- Message in a Box [2]

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Absolutely. We had to pay this up front for the adventures that followed.

      Delete